Change continues in the workplace, especially for SMBs with remote work and shared hardware making virtual computing an ideal solution for smaller businesses too. Windows Virtual Desktop which is in public preview and due for release in Q4 2019 offers SMBs an ideal solution to rollout and manage a number of computing sessions across a range of devices. Combine that with the improved security of not having to manage numerous individual machines and you may have a great solution on your hands.
To help you get a quick overview, we’ve put together the top 10 facts about Windows Virtual Desktop.
- Windows Virtual Desktop is a service which offers virtual Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus sessions across different hardware.
- The service supports a number of operating systems including Windows 10 multi-session, Windows 10 single-session, Windows 7 single-session, Windows Server 2012 R2 and newer operating systems.
- On the hardware side, Windows Virtual Desktop will work on the majority of devices including Windows PCs, Macs as well as iPads and Android devices.
- The most significant advantages for SMBs are that IT gets full control over software and businesses will spend less on a number of individual PCs with staff being able to simply sign in and out of sessions on the same device. And if you have remote employees or contractors, they can also access their desktop from any of their own devices.
- For mobile devices, Windows Virtual Desktop will be available on Android and iOS devices. Microsoft and Samsung also are collaborating to offer frontline employees an enhanced Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus option with Samsung DeX.
- The main requirement for Windows Virtual Desktop is an Azure subscription which will include the amount of storage your business requires and the number if virtual machines. Full and up-to-date details are available on the Microsoft Azure site.
- Microsoft has announced that WVD will be available in the second half of 2019, this is still the case as of August 2019, so it is likely to be made available in Q4 2019. The public preview is available here.
- Is Windows Virtual Desktop right for my business? Ultimately, you will have to weigh up how much technical know-how is necessary for implementation in your business, but the overall flexibility and savings which can be made year in, year out will make it an attractive option for most.
- Interaction with existing hardware is focused partly on printing. Microsoft has chosen ThinPrint’s ezeep cloud printing solution as its printing partner. ezeep enables an advanced connection to the existing print infrastructure, bridging the gap between Windows Virtual Desktop and printing hardware. The joint solution brief is available here.
- To get more information and facts about Windows Virtual Desktop, and especially printing and how to successfully implement it in SMBs, or if you have any other questions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our page Windows Virtual Desktop Printing.